Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

December 11, 2018

If you have been listening to the news lately you will hear on every broadcast that they have been talking about Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

CO is called the silent killer.  You can’t taste it, smell it or see it.   CO is the natural by-product of burning natural gas, propane, wood and all fossil fuels.

We can protect our families by taking these steps:

  1. Have your fuel burning appliance serviced every year.
  2. Have your chimney flue cleaned regularly
  3. Install a working Carbon Monoxide alarm in your home.
  4. Know the symptoms of CO poisoning. If they appear, it is important to get everyone, including pets, outside to fresh air immediately.
  5. If you hear the CO alarm sound get everyone out of the home and notify your local fire department.

Tips for safety!

  • Never heat your home with a gas stove.
  • Never use a barbeque, charcoal or hibachi grill in the home or in an enclosed area.
  • During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow.
  • Never use a gas-powered generator inside your home.

                                                                                                      CO safety