Fire Prevention Week 2020- Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen
The Fire Prevention Week 2020 campaign highlights this year's focus on cooking safety and preventing kitchen fires at home. Cooking is the #1 cause of home fires and home fire injuries and unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires in the kitchen. Below are a few kitchen safety tips:
- Stay focused on the food – unattended cooking is the #1 source of fires in the kitchen.
- Use a timer to remind yourself that you are cooking.
- If you are sleepy, have taken a medication that makes you drowsy, or have consumed alcohol, don’t cook.
- Keep cooking areas clear and keep anything that could catch on fire away from the stovetop.
- Have a “kid-free zone” of at least 1m around the stove and where hot food is prepared/carried.
- Always keep a lid nearby when cooking. If a small grease fire starts, slide a lid over the pan and turn off the burner. Leave the pan covered until it is cool.
- Never discharge a portable fire extinguisher into a grease fire because it may cause the fire to spread.
- Turn pot/pan handles away from the edge of the stove to prevent burns/scalds.
- Clean up food and grease from the stovetop after cooking.
- Keep your pets off cooking surfaces and nearby counterspace.
FNESS is proud to be partnering with the OFC to promote our annual FPW Poster and Video Contest, for more information please head to the OFC FPW website (https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/fire-safety/public-education/fire-prevention-week).
#fpw #fpw2020 #firesafety #firepreventionweek #publiceducation #OFC #britishcolumbia #serveupfiresafety #fness