BC First Nations evacuation supports and resources 

Aug 24, 2023

heart and hands graphic over trees and text that says evacuation supports and resources for BC first nations

On this page

Click a link below to quickly navigate to information relevant to you:

These resources were gathered by searching websites and social media accounts and will continue to be updated as more information becomes available.  Please email FNESS communications if you have other information you think is helpful to First Nations evacuees in BC. 

Last updated: Tue, Sep 5

What to do after an evacuation

If you are First Nations and on an evacuation order, here is what you need to do:

  1. Register online prior to arriving at an evacuation centre. You do not need to register online before going to a reception centre, but it will save time and is recommended. You can also register by telephone 1-800-585-9559 (8:30 am to 4:30 pm).
  2. Once registered online, go to a reception centre in your area to receive emergency support services (ESS). If you do not need ESS, you only need to self-register online and do not need to go to a reception centre.
    • Kamloops: McArthur Island Park Reception Centre
    • Kelowna: Prospera Place at 1223 Water Street
    • Penticton: Princess Margaret Secondary School, 120 Green Ave West
    • Salmon Arm: 5th Avenue Seniors Centre, 170 5th Ave NE
    • West Kelowna: Royal LePage Place at 2760 Cameron Road
    • Vernon: Kal Tire Place at 3445 43 Avenue
  3. Stay with family and friends if possible so that accommodation is available for evacuees who don’t have that option. Evacuees who stay with family or friends may still be eligible to receive vouchers to assist with costs associated with billeting, after registering for ESS.

Important Notes & Instructions:  

  • The operational delivery of ESS varies slightly by community so it’s important that you follow the directions provided by your local authority or First Nation.
  • Support services in Alberta are extremely limited due to incoming evacuees from the Northwest Territories. Evacuees requiring supports are discouraged from travelling to Alberta, unless they have friends and families to stay with.
  • After you’ve evacuated, you should wait until local officials determine it is safe to re-enter your home and community.
  • Stay outside the evacuation zone until authorities say that it is safe to return.
  • If your home has been damaged, work with local authorities and professional engineers to assess the structural safety of your home. Only re-enter your home after authorities advise that it’s safe to do so.


Shared by ALIB on their Facebook page:

Aug 20: If you need assistance or have any questions regarding emergency support services, contact the ESS assistant, Diane Anthony at 250-679-2239 (office) or 250-318-6720 (cell)

Aug 21: If you are an ALIB member evacuated and at Sun Peaks, effective August 22, meals/food will only be provided at the Grand for breakfast, lunch and dinner. No more vouchers will be provided. The meals will be provided at the following times:

  • Breakfast 9 to 10 am
  • Lunch 12 to 1 pm
  • Dinner 5 to 6 pm.

Aug 25: For those evacuated to Sun Peaks and preparing to go home:

  • Please check out at the front desk
  • Rides are available from Sun Peaks. Contact Alkina Aleck if you need a ride home at 778-257-3309
  • You’ll need to travel home via highway 1 because backroad access is not accessible

Visit ALIB’s Facebook page.


Shared on Lytton First Nation’s Website:

Aug 28: LFN Emergency Support Services (LFN ESS) is available to those on evacuation order. Contact the LFN ESS Director, Bobbi McKay, if you need support at 778-254-9754.

Visit Lytton First Nation’s website.


Shared by PIB on their Facebook Page:

Aug 19: PIB community and families that have been evacuated can use the PIB ball field for RV and tent camping.

  • You must park outside the ball park.
  • There is no water or power hookups available.
  • Location: High Rock RV Park (3675 Airport Road)
  • Call Tammy Kruger at 250-462-5619 to see if room available.

Visit PIB’s Facebook page.


Crisis response available for SteS Members

Aug 23 | From Jolene Anderson Counselling’s Facebook Page:

Jolene Anderson is providing mental health support services to assist in navigating crisis response to Skwlax Indian Band.

  • Offering support with emotional distress stemming from wildfires, along with providing valuable resources.
  • Providing general mental health support.
  • Assisting with developing wellness plans or aftercare plans.
  • Providing individual and group debriefing sessions to members, staff, and leadership.

Jolene Anderson is available to offer both support and resources.

236-313-1533 or helpwithhealing@hotmail.com.


Evacuees welcome to camp at TteS arbour

Aug 21 | Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc’s Facebook page and website:
The TteS arbour is open for RVs and trailers. Evacuees are more than welcome to set up their trailers at the arbour and then proceed to register at MacArthur Island for updates and important information on resources available.

TteS Emergency Planning Coordinator is Shane Wardrobe who can be contacted at 236-597-9844.

Free gymnastics and trampoline camps for evacuated families

Aug 21 | From Kamloops Gymnasitics Trampoline Centre’s Facebook page:
Kamloops Gymnastics Trampoline Centre is offering free gymnastics and trampoline camps for evacuated families.
Age: 3.5 yrs. to 16 yrs.

  • Where: Kamloops Gymnastics | Trampoline Centre (located in the Tournament Capital Centre, 910 McGill Road, Kamloops)
  • Cost: Free of charge to all families under evacuation order
  • When:
    • Morning: Half day camps run Monday through Thursday from 8:30am to 12:00pm.
    • Afternoon: Half day camps run Monday through Thursday from 12:00pm to 3:30pm.
    • Full Day:  8:30am to 3:30pm.
  • How to register: Call 250-374-6424 or email INFO@KGTC.CA
  • Food and Drink? Full day participants will require lunch and two snacks. A water bottle is permitted and refill stations are available.
  • What to bring to a session? Children should wear comfortable clothing that allows them to move easily. Shorts and t-shirts are great – just ensure that clothes are not too baggy as it may become a danger or too tight to be restrictive. Long hair should be tied back and socks and shoes removed. Jewellery or other items that might cause scratching or become caught in materials must be removed.

Medical appointments available at Sun Peaks

Aug 22 | From Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc’s Facebook page:
Evacuated people displaced and staying in Kamloops or Sun Peaks can access STEPS Urgent Care by booking an in-person or virtual appointment.

  • To book an appointment, call 778-765-5398.
  • Location: 3115 Creekside Way, Sun Peaks Resort.
  • Hours: 11am-7pm Saturday and Sunday


  • Sun Peaks is a 45-minute drive from Kamloops.
  • Phones will be answered Monday to Friday from 9am to 4pm with a break from 12pm-1pm.
  • Patients can usually be seen within 24-72 hours.

Free food

Good food for all

Sep 1 | Information shared by United Way BC on behalf of Mount Paul Community Centre:

Mount Paul Community Food Centre (CFC) is a welcoming place where people come together to grow, cook, share and advocate for good food for all. They won’t turn away anyone who needs supports, even if they are outside the boundaries of the city of Kamloops.

Location: 140 Laburnum St., Kamloops, BC
Tel: 236-421-1011
View CFC’s Calendar of Programs to learn more.

Free and fresh produce

Aug 25 | From Thistle Farm’s Facebook Page:

If you’re an evacuee in need of fresh produce, you’re welcome to go to Thistle Farm and they’ll provide some at no cost.

Location: 710 Dairy Road, Kamloops, BC

Phone: 250-579-9617

Email: thistlefarmorganics@gmail.com

Kamloops Museum offers fire evacuees free admission

Aug 25 | From Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc’s Facebook Page:
In response to the wildfires that are affecting communities in the Okanagan and Interior regions, the Kamloops Museum is offering fire evacuees free admission. Kamloops Museum and Archives aims to provide a safe space where individuals and families can find comfort, inspiration, and a brief escape from the many challenges associated with the wildfires. The museum and archives, downtown at Seymour Street and Second Avenue, offers a welcoming environment with children’s activities, comfortable seating, reading materials, and local history exhibitions.

Available from: August 24 to September 30, 2023.

Hours of operation: Kamloops Museum and Archives is open Tuesday through Saturday, from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm.

Free clothes for evacuees

Aug 29 | Second Chances Thrift Store’s Facebook Page

Second Chances Thrift Store has a fully stocked free room made for evacuees.

Location: 1211 8th Street, Kamloops

Tel: 778-470-0055


  • Mon-Fri: 10am to 6pm
  • Sat-Sun: 10am to 5pm


For Babies & Young Children

Aug 28 | Shared by United Way BC:
Shuswap Children’s Association has diapers, wipes, infant formula, infant/toddler clothing, books, and small toys available for evacuees.

Location: 240 Shuswap St. NE, Salmon Arm
Hours of operation: Mon-Fri, 9am to 4pm
Email: info@shuswapchildrens.ca
Tel: 250-833-0164 x 0

Food Banks

Aug 28 | Shared by United Way BC:

Second Harvest Food Bank:

Fresh fruit and vegetables, milk, and non-perishable food.

Location: 360 Alexander St. NE, Salmon Arm

Hours of operation:

  • Tue: 9am to noon
  • Wed: 2pm to 6pm
  • Fri: 11am to 3pm

Salvation Army Lighthouse Food Bank

Non-perishable food and fresh produce.

Location: 441 3rd St. SW, Salmon Arm
Hours of operation: Mon-Fri, 9am to 2pm

Eagle Valley Community Resource Centre

Fresh fruit and produce, milk, eggs, and non-perishable food.

Location: 1214 Shuswap Ave, Sicamous
Hours of operation: Mon-Fri, 10am to 4pm

Toiletries & Hair Care

Destination Hair & Spa has hair brushes, combs, shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, toothbrushes, and toothpaste.
Location: 246 Shuswap St., Salmon Arm
Hours of operation: Mon-Fri, 8:30am to 4:30pm

Clothing, Shower & Bathing Supplies

Available at the Salvation Army Lighthouse Café:

  • Seasonal clothing and footwear for youth, women, and men.
  • Towels and face-clothes
  • Soap
  • Shower gel

Location: 441 3rd St. SW, Salmon Arm
Hours of operation: Mon-Fri, 9am to 2pm

Shower & Laundry Facility

Hot showers and laundry facilities available at the Salvation Army Lighthouse Café.

Location: 441 3rd St. SW, Salmon Arm
Hours of operation: Mon-Fri, 9am to 2pm


Temporary Confirmation of Registration Document

If your status card is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed during an emergency, you can request a Temporary Confirmation of Registration Document (TCRD) at any regional office or by calling 1-800-567-9604. You should use the address of your evacuation location or temporary residence (Source: Indigenous Services Canada)

MEDICAL SUPPORTS (Provided by FNHA Health Benefits)

Virtual Doctor of the Day

Doctors are on call seven days a week to provide medical advice, prescriptions and referrals.
For more information visit FNHA’s website.

Refilling Prescriptions

With the current evacuations taking place in BC, some FNHA clients may not have access to their medications and will require a refill or replacement. To replace or refill a prescription for medication, please go to a local pharmacy. The pharmacist will be able to provide support. FNHA clients can call Health Benefits if they need help with this process at 1-855-550-5454.

Medical Transportation

For support to attend a medically-necessary appointment such as dialysis, please contact Health Benefits for guidance on what supports are available at 1-855-550-5454.

Medical Supplies and Equipment (Including Oxygen Tanks)

FNHA Health Benefits can help with questions about medical supplies and equipment, including refill or replacement of oxygen tanks and related products. Call 1-855-550-5454 if you need help with this process.

Eyewear and Vision Care

FNHA Health Benefits covers certain vision care items and services such as prescription eyewear and repairs, sight tests and eye exams. Many vision care providers can bill FNHA Health Benefits directly, so clients do not pay out of pocket.

Dental Items (Dentures) Contact

Most dental providers in BC can bill the FNHA directly. Call FNHA Health Benefits (1-855-550-5454) for support to access dental services or find out what is covered.


Hope for Wellness Helpline

Experienced and culturally competent counsellors provide mental health support to all Indigenous people across Canada by telephone 1-855-242-3310 and online chat 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

KUU-US Crisis Line

1-800-KUU-US17 (588-8717) Available 24-hours a day, seven days a week, regardless of where individuals reside in the province, those in need of support can call for an immediate response.

Indian Residential School Survivors Society:


Tsow-Tun-Le-Lum (FNHA):


FNHA Virtual Substance Use & Psychiatry Services

Specialists in addictions medicine and psychiatry are on call weekdays to support individuals and their family members. Visit FNHA’s website for more information.

FNHA Mental Health Counselling

Please contact FNHA Health Benefits at 1-855-550-5454 to be connected with a mental health counsellor. To learn more about coverage, or to choose your own FNHA approved counsellor, visit FNHA’s Mental Health webpage.

Disaster Psychological Support Team

Reception centres in the Interior have team members deployed through the Provincial Health Authority’s Health Emergency Management BC program. Team members are providing psychosocial support in the form of Psychological First Aid, which is holistic, community wellness approach to help reduce levels of emotional distress for individuals, families, responders and communities.

FNHA Staff Available at Evacuee Reception Centres

First Nations Health Authority staff continue to attend evacuee reception centres to support First Nations evacuees in accessing mental wellness counselling services and traditional wellness resources and to provide a culturally safe contact for needed health-care resources.

Aboriginal Mental Wellness Team

In the Interior region, Indigenous people — including health-care and front-line care providers — are encouraged to contact a member of the Aboriginal Wellness Team who can support local mental health priorities at aboriginalmentalwellness@interiorhealth.ca .


For mental health and substance use information and support gathered by the BC Government, visit wellbeing.gov.bc.ca or call 310-MHSU (no area code required). This support and information is available to all residents of BC.

24/7 Free Counselling Services for Kids, Teens, Young Adults, and Adults

Wellness Together Canada provides free and confidential non-emergency support from professional counsellors. To be connected with a professional who will listen non-judgementally to whatever’s on your mind, call:

Adults (18+): 1-866-585-0445 (Homewood Health Counselling)

Kids, Teens, Young Adults: 1-888-668-6810 (Kids Help Phone)

Supporting Others

Supporting someone you care about can be stressful or confusing. For information and resources you can trust, visit heretohelp.bc.ca. Their resources can help you be an effective advocate, tackle problems or challenges, navigate mental health and substance use systems, and build healthier relationships.

Health-Care Worker Peer Support

Text or call: 1-866-802-7337

Care for Caregivers

Care for Caregivers is a peer-based phone, text, and webchat service that provides free and confidential support to health and social support workers in BC. Visit careforgivers.ca or call or text 1-866-802-7337.


GoodLife Fitness change room facilities, bathrooms and showers available to all evacuees

Aug 22 | Shared by iHeartRadio news article
GoodLife Fitness will make change room facilities, bathrooms and showers in all British Columbia Clubs available immediately to evacuees or anyone displaced by the fires. The Clubs will remain available to evacuees through next week, and that timeline will be extended if needed.

Amenities available at GoodLife gyms:

  • Private shower stalls
  • Shampoo, conditioner
  • Electrical outlets to charge mobile devices
  • Sinks and mirrors
  • Blow dryers
  • Towels (where available)


  • Abbotsford
  • Burnaby
  • Fort St. John
  • Kelowna
  • Mission
  • Prince George
  • Surrey
  • Vancouver
  • Victoria

United Way BC grant applications open for wildfire relief efforts

Aug 23 | From United Way BC News Release:

The United for BC Wildfire Recovery Fund is now accepting applications to support agencies helping with immediate and ongoing relief efforts, long term recovery, resiliency, and preparedness for future events in British Columbia and impacted regions, including consequential events related to the fires.
We encourage organizations helping with wildfire relief to apply here. The application is short and designed to be low barrier.
Read the media release for more information.


  • Space for horses and to camp at Clinton Rodeo grounds: contact Tim at 250-706-3409 (via Secwepemc Health Caucus Facebook post on Aug 20)
  • Evacuees with animals can stay at the Falkland Rodeo Grounds (via Falkland Stampede Facebook post on Aug 20)
  • Four Paws Pet Food Bank Foundation in Kamloops (via Four Paws Foodbank Foundation Facebook Page on Aug 20) provides free pet food and supplies to people that are evacuated. They can be contacted via their Facebook page or by email at fourpawsfoodbank@gmail.com. When you contact them, let them know where you are and what animals you need supplies for. They will come find you with supplies. Although they are focussed on the Kamloops area, they have a great network and can connect you to someone in other locations as well. They offer:
    • Crates
    • Food
    • Dishes
    • Litter boxes and litter
    • Leashes, collars, and harnesses

The BC SPCA Animal Helpline (1-855-622-7722):

This is the first point of contact for anyone inquiring about emergency animal services and support including:

  • Free emergency pet boarding: Temporary pet care for those displaced by natural disasters.
  • Free supplies or food needed (you can also visit your local BC SPCA Centre or find them at your local ESS Centre where they’ll have supplies ready.)
  • Information support for evacuees with pets
  • Lost/stray animal reunification and rehoming of unclaimed pets during emergencies.

Free virtual veterinarian consults from TELUS MyPet

To those with pets impacted by the BC wildfires, TELUS Health MyPet veterinary care experts would like to help. Evacuated pet owners can access free virtual veterinarian and vet technician consults for their dogs or cats using TELUS Health MyPet and the code BCWILDFIRE. Download the app and register for TELUSHealth MyPet and enter code BCWILDFIRE to access a free consult with one of their vet techs (source: TELUS website on Aug 21)

There is a lot of information available right now, if we missed something you think should be added to this list, please email FNESS communications. We will continue to update as more information becomes available.  Kukwstsétsemc.